Friday, March 20, 2009

Sorry for the double posting of pictures. I can't figure out to take one of them off! Hope you all are well. It's been a few days since my last posting... What have we been up to? Last Saturday we went to Heidelberg to visit the castle http://www.hd-fuehrungen-mit-flair.de/neuedateien/schlossfuehengl.html and walked around downtown. The views from on top of the castle were spectacular! Although I had to hold on Jorge and/or the kids when they got too close to the edge. I'm terrified of heights! We took the guided tour and saw how the king and queen lived in those days. They lived exactly how you think a King and Queen should. You should have seen the GINORMOUS wine cellar they had. There's a pic at the bottom of this blog, look at the one with Jorge's head just sticking out at the bottom of the picture. Then you can see how big it really is! One curious thing we found out was that we had to pay to use the bathroom. Good thing I had some Euros on me when Olivia and I had to go for the first time, otherwise... well use your imagination. :) Downtown Heidelberg was a lot of fun. Tons of people, lots of shopping and eating. Lots of people eating ice cream and gelato, which seemed a little strange to me because it was so cold. Eating out here is always an adventure. You better not be hungry when you order! Before it's all over you've spent a good 2 1/2 to 3 hours in the restaurant. No one is in a hurry, you can stay as long as you want. It's kinda expensive with no refills on drinks, no ice, you have to pay for all your sides and you have to ask for your check at the end of the meal. Oh and dogs are welcomed! One of the wives here brought her dog and she goes out to dinner with us. They also have WONDERFUL bakeries and pastry shops. I noticed that a lot of the pastry shops had tall tables for you to just stand while you eat/drink. They also sell the most beautiful flowers here, they look so perfect they almost look fake! Another thing we noticed is that TONS of people ride bicycles everywhere! You see a pic of all the bikes on the slide show at the bottom. That was Saturday. Sunday we went to Mass on base and then ate at a truck stop in Ramstein. They had the most fabulous food there. It was delicious! This week we've really tried to stay focused on school. It's been really hard, but the kids are doing a great job. Tuesday we spent the day moving into our new apartment. It's much bigger, a 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath, two story apartment in the same building. It took the kids and I most of day to move everything but we did it. We bought a family pass to use the pool on Base and we've been swimming twice. We go during the day when it's not crowded and get in our exercise. We also had a little escapade yesterday. I tried getting gas on Base but I wasn't allowed because I didn't have the "right" papers. So I thought I could make it to the gas station at the hotel we stayed at. I punched in the wrong address on the GPS and ended up at Lucas' doctors office! The tank was on O at this point so I couldn't go back. I asked where the closet gas station was and was told "oh it's just around the corner!" So I went and came to place with nothing but houses, so I ended up turning around and parking at a grocery store. I was on - O at this point. I called and left a message for Jorge. He has a meeting every morning from 8-9am. So we waited patiently in the car for him to call. Finally our Knight (along with his boss) came and saved us! I vow to never go below 1/2 a tank again! This weekend we are going to Trier, the oldest city in Germany. I'll be sure to post some new pics. Have a wonderful weekend! Love and hugs, JCLO

No comments:

Post a Comment